Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Systematic Ills

I looked out the window and started to cry
Now listen to me closely as I tell you why
Young Black men on the street trying to live and survive
You got this one right here just trying to stay alive
Young babies living hard growing up much too fast
Mommies running ‘round strung trying to make her high last
My father told me, “Only the strong survive”
But this system is working hard to take our pride
We were once told to keep our heads to the sky
We must look up even when we cry
Our young Black men carry the weight of the world on his shoulder
And then you have the nerve to lock him up for selling drugs on the corner
You put him in a jail that does not rehabilitate
You judge him, play God, and try to steal his fate
God said the enemy only comes to kill, steal, and destroy
Well the system is the enemy for young Black boys
© Copyright 2007 Shawnte Barr (UN: Blysswrytes at Blogger.Com). All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment